Game developers don't stop working on a game as soon as it is ready to be played by gamers. After the release of the game, there will be updates to the game content that might address bugs that went unnoticed during production. These updates are free of charge. If your PlayStation 4 system is connected to the internet the updates will happen automatically when they are available and the game is started.
Keeping your game library up to date is a good idea, it ensures you are playing the most polished and complete version of the game you bought. For many games, the updates are mandatory to keep online gameplay modes available.
Read on for more information and solutions to the most common issues regarding game updates and downloads in general.
My game update or download is not starting
If your update file is not downloading as it should, there are a few things you can try to solve this issue:
- The PlayStation Network might not be available, check PSN status here. If the PlayStation Network is under maintenance, please check back in a couple of hours.
- Check if your PlayStation 4 is connected to the internet. Test your internet connection by heading to
[Test Connection]. If you can't connect to the internet, there are a few troubleshooting steps to try.
- Confirm you have enough storage space available on the hard drive of your PlayStation 4 console. The download manager will indicate the size of the download, it is advised to have double the storage space that is required for a download. You can find your available storage space by going to
[Storage]. For step-by-step instructions on how to check the available storage space on your console, click the button below:
- Try to restart the download by selecting
[Notifications]and scrolling to the download file. Press the Options button and select
[Delete]. Then view the game in the
[Library], press the Options button and select
[Check for Update].
- It might be the case that the publisher's servers are down and this is preventing your download. Please visit the website of the developer to see if there are any known issues with their data servers.
Why is my Season Pass content missing?
A season pass allows you to free purchase the content you have ordered on the PlayStation Store. To get access to this content you have to enter the PlayStation Store and purchase it (for free).
Sometimes content that is included in the season pass has not yet been made available by the publisher of the game. In these cases, you will be notified in-game when these items are available through the PlayStation Store.
After inserting the disc I get directed to the PlayStation Store to buy the game
You can call customer service to solve this problem. They will discuss with you the best way to solve the problem.